Water Resources and Environmental Engineering
Project – Effect of Impervious Surface Areas on Flood Risk in Westchester County, NY
This is a draft version of a paper analyzing the impacts of impervious surface areas on flood risk in Westchester County, NY. Programs such as Excel, ArcGIS, and QGIS were used for this paper, and an interactive tool was developed using Shiny by RStudio showing the impact of impervious surface areas in Waccabuc, NY (move the slider below):
Presentation – Bioelectrochemical Systems in Wastewater Treatment
This was a presentation given for the Spring 2016 “Biological Systems in Environmental Engineering” course at the City College of New York. The accompanying worksheet can be found here: Bioelectrochemical Systems Presentation Worksheet.
I have over ten years of experience starting and leading environmental groups:
- At Briarcliff High School, I started an environmental club. I worked with the principal and custodial staff to set up a recycling system in the school and coordinated volunteers to collect recycling each week. In addition, we organized educational activities including creating a native plant garden, touring a recycling center, and developing a skit for elementary school students
- In my hometown, I founded an environmental advisory committee by working with the Mayor, Board of Trustees, and village administrator. Some highlights:
- – I presented resolutions to the Board of Trustees, like “Climate Smart Communities,” which was successfully adopted. Watch a video below from a presentation reporting on recent Committee activities and about our support for Community Choice Aggregation:
- – I chaired monthly meetings with 7+ attendees and supervised a high school intern
- – We provided feedback on a Draft Environmental Impact Statement for a local brownfield redevelopment, which required overseeing all 7 members and unifying their comments in a single letter on a short timeline (available here)
- – We organized community events with local organizations, such as annual clean-ups at 2 to 3 sites with Riverkeeper
- – I wrote monthly newsletters and created resources such as a hyperlocal guide to reuse/recycling
- While teaching in France, I developed environmental lesson plans that were shared with other assistants on my blog and set up an Eco Club for students during my lunch break, which included activities like creating a stop-motion video about environmental issues.
What does gender have to do with climate action? The Guardian
The Cost of Food in 2050 The Billfold
Please visit my Publications page for more.
I have photographed a variety of events and conferences, including the Bullish Conference in 2015.